Friday, November 14, 2008

Blog post #7: Reflection on Learning

In Blog post #1, I mention that effective communication skills are important as it can effectively deliver our messages across to the other parties. After the 24 lectures of Professional Communication, I feel that the effective communication is far more important than one can imagine.

The skills in which I will like to emphasis in module are the interpersonal skill and 7Cs of writing. It has played a large role in the process of writing up the research report, up till the presentation to our audiences. With interpersonal skill between me and my partners, we can work harmony with each other and meet all the deadlines of the report. 7Cs writing enables my group to write effectively and clearly so as to present the correct messages to our lecturer and audience. This module has enhanced my knowledge about certain things. Like when presenting to the audiences, what can I take note of, or when writing a resume and job application form, what I can emphasis on.

Ms Kim has encouraged us to interact more with our classmates by reminding us to sit with different people every now and then. In this way, it not only enables me to know more friends but also strengthen my interpersonal skill with them.

Lastly, I like to thanks Divya, we have gone through thick and thin together in the process of coming up with the research report and presentation. Not to forget, ES2007s Group 10 classmates, all the best for the coming exams. Finally, a big big thank you to Ms Kim, thanks for your guidance all these while.

To end, I could like to say, the root of education is bitter but the fruit is sweet.

5 comments:

Seow Teng said...

Hi peipei,

Yes, I agree with you that effective communication is far more important than one can imagine. Besides getting one's message across, we have to be conscious about how we talk, when we talk and the nonverbal cues, therefore effective communication is rather a life long process for everyone to learn. Nevertheless, learning to communicate effectively does not end with this module; I believe after the learning journey of these 3 months, other than interpersonal skill and 7Cs of writing, you will also apply other principles of communication you have acquired to develop strategies for a successful exchange of ideas with others in various social settings, and within your future workplace.

We must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and perhaps use this understanding as a guide to effectively communicate with others. Lastly, all the best for the coming exams:)
Cheers
Seow Teng

Wen Jie said...

Hi PeiPei,

I agree that the 7Cs in writing enables us to express ourselves fully and convey messages effectively. Also, learning to write an impressive resume is an important procedure that we all have to go through in getting the job we desire. I am glad that we have obtained the opportunity to learn that in class.

I would always forget about sitting with other classmates in class because I have already got used to sitting with my friends during other lectures. Indeed, it was good that Ms Kim encouraged us to work with other classmates as it has improved our interpersonal skills. If not, I wouldn’t get to make new friends in this interactive class!

I totally agree with your last line. The assessments of this module were very time-consuming but I have learnt how to communicate effectively through these so called “roots”. I hope I can get a taste of that fruit when it’s time for me to work in the real working world.

Keep in touch and all the best in your upcoming exams too!

Chiew Yen said...

hi,
good report writing is a necessary skill which every employee should master. The ability to present facts and figures concisely in a well-structured format means that the reader is able to grasp the main ideas quickly without having to waste time in second-guessing what the report is about. I do agree that the 7Cs writing helps us in many ways during the report writing. The 7Cs has serve us well as a guild line in writing a good report.

Divya said...

Hi pei pei,

I agree with you that interpersonal skills and the 7Cs did play a large role in our projects. A misunderstood message will always cause problems, hence, it was important for us to effectively deliver our messages.
It is usually the tendency of the people to sit with their friends during class, that the concept of changing our group mates for discussion enabled us to adjust and interact with different people. Teaching us again the importance of interpersonal and intercultural skills.

All the best for your exams.

grace kim said...

Hi Pei Pei,

Glad that the course has given you a new realisation of the importance of effective communication.

Thanks for your hard work and effort especially when you and Divya had to work extra hard without a third team member to come up with a comprehensive presentation of your research proposal. I really appreciate your diligence and conscientiousness and for displaying a very positive attitude throughout the course.

All the best as you seek to improve your communication skills and reap the sweet fruits of your hard work.